Tax law: the board of a foreign corporation may be a permanent agent in Germany
The Federa Financial Court has ruled that the managing director of a company may be a permanent representative, with the result that the foreign company is subject to limited corporation tax, even if it does not maintain a permanent place of business in Germany.
The managing director of a Luxembourg joint-stock company regularly spent time in Germany in order to initiate, conclude and settle gold transactions for it. The tax office assumed the limited corporation tax liability of the joint-stock company because the managing director was the permanent representative of the company within the meaning of § 13 AO.
However, the FG Neustadt had assessed the matter differently and upheld the action against the corporation tax assessment notice.
The BFH overturned the judgement of the fiscal court.
According to § 13 AO, a permanent representative is a person who sustainably manages the business of a company and is subject to its instructions, according to the BFH. Since the regulation presupposes a representative and an enterprise in addition, it is disputed whether the managing director can fulfil these conditions as an organ of the corporation. According to German civil law, the company acts itself when its organs become active.
The BFH has now decided the dispute. According to the purpose of the law and its wording, in tax law such persons could in principle also be permanent representatives who are to be regarded as organs of the corporation in civil law. For the foreign limited company, which has neither its registered office nor its management in Germany, this results in the limited corporation tax liability pursuant to § 2 No. 1 KStG in conjunction with § 2 No. 1 KStG. § 49 (1) no. 2 letter a EStG, without the existence of a domestic permanent establishment still being important.
FG Neustadt, Urt. v. 15.06.2016 - 1 K 1685/14
- Legal Tech Act
- Invalidity of the termination of a tenancy agreement
- Influencer means advertising ?
- Employee must prove illness
- Revocation of a car loan agreement
- Liability of a subsidiary for infringement of competition law?
- Time limitation of an employment
- Price increases for new car
- Termination due to reading and disclosure of data
- Termination because of threats against a supervisor
- Proof of e-mail receipt.
- Termination of Leasing Contract
- EU sanctions targeting Russian citizens.
- Transparency register for all companies
- Insolvency law: indebtedness pursuant to section 19 (2) sentence 1 InsO
- The EU's Russia sanctions
- Payment for licence plate advertising is remuneration
- Employees can be transferred abroad permanently
- Implementation of electronic time recording
- Unemployment benefit after dismissal?
- Equal pay
- Interest on tax demands and refunds at 6% p.a. unconstitutional
- Data owned by employer
- Weakening of tenants' rights
- Right of withdrawal for brokerage contracts
- BFH, ruling of 23 March 2016, IV R 9/14: Investment deduction amount
- Cartel damage
- Right abuse
- Setting a deadline
- Protection of third parties
- Internet sales platform
- Bonus payments
- Formal requirements in general terms and conditions
- Termination of a management employment
- No cosmetic repairs at the apartment despite "renovation agreement"
- Income tax return due to loan default
- ECJ ruling on copyright infrigements on Youtube
- Gift invalid without notarial certification
- Minimum subsistence Germany 2019-2020
- revocability of employment termination agreements
- Cover under legal expenses insurance
- Termination without notice
- Labour law: leave
- Immigration of qualified staff
- Unpaid leave
- Tax law: liability of a foreign company in germany
- Custom law ruling
- Labour law: compensation adjustment for lawyer fees
- Termination without notice
- Tenancy law
- Immediate notice of dismissal
- Damages in case of violation of a jurisdiction agreement
- Corona quarantine: legal aspects
- No termination without notice
- Labour law decisions around Corona
- Dismissal due to Covid 19 quarantine invalid